Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

3 posters

The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming

xenocyclus
    xenocyclus
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name:
    Race: Human
    Class:

The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming Empty The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming

Post by xenocyclus 2010-03-04, 21:56

View the film here.

Microsoft Surface

Opinions will rage about whether or not this is good for gaming or not. Either way, it's still pretty kick-ass. Personally, I think we as a gaming community need to get back to the place where die, pencil, and paper meet the table and the player.
    Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Rūk
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Warden

The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming Empty Re: The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming

Post by Chris 2010-03-09, 19:13

I think that this will be good for gaming, it keeps the game on the table, keeping it as a social activity.

Personally, I'd miss the tactile experience of rolling real dice. I wonder if real dice could be integrated.

I think that, as with most advances in roleplaying gaming, there will be a small percentage of the community that adopts the technology, once it becomes commercially available. Initiative/combat tracking software, mapping software, and campaign building software have all been around for years, but I don't know anyone that uses anything more advanced than a wiki (other than DDI) to run a game.
    seaniusmaximus
    seaniusmaximus
    Level 5 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Emere-kai
    Race: Genasi
    Class: Swordmage

The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming Empty Re: The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming

Post by seaniusmaximus 2010-03-13, 13:04

I actually currently use a monitor as a game table for my weekly 4e game. I do this because I always have spare electronics sitting around, and having an extra monitor, I thought, why not?

I basically removed the backing and stand, and lay it flat on the table, and use a program called MapTool (which is free) to display a full screen map on that monitor, that I control from my laptop. This also allows me to have a digital version of everything I need, thus reducing paper usage and whatnot. I allow players to have actual minis, that they place on the monitor surface (I use a protective sheet of plastic, so the monitor doesn't get fudged) and they roll physical dice, but the map, and monsters, are all represented digitally. This also allows me to put little digital markers on the corners of the monsters on the screen to signify different status effects and marking and whatnot. It's worked pretty great so far. Saves me a lot of money on maps and tiles and minis and allows me to lay out dungeons waaaay in advance, and I can easily switch between maps quickly during the game.

The only drawback is the monitor is only a 20-incher (maybe 21, I can't remember) so the maps can't get SUPER huge, without having to scroll around on it, but I haven't found that to be a big limitation as of yet.
    Chris
    Chris
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Rūk
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Warden

Post by Chris 2010-03-13, 14:24

This is an older link to a Pen, Paper, & Pixel post showing what may have been the first publicized use of a DLP projector for gaming maps. It seemed like a pretty cool idea then, but the technology has come a long way since then (making the projectors cheaper). If I was in a position to mount something on my ceiling, I'd definately consider doing this.
    The Next Generation of Miniature Gaming MapProjection04_lg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-19, 04:45