Heroes Guild Online

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

3 posters

Hello, I'm Jake.

HooliganBFLO
    HooliganBFLO
    Level 1 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Jhek Lohw
    Race: Human
    Class: Wizard

Hello, I'm Jake. Empty Hello, I'm Jake.

Post by HooliganBFLO 2010-07-02, 13:16

Hey everyone, I'm Jake and I was directed here by Chris (CMPullen).

A little bit about myself... My wife and I moved here from Buffalo, NY a few years ago. We live in the Parkville area of Baltimore with our house full of pets. I've just recently got back into tabletop gaming after several years of playing online RPG's. My experience with tabletop gaming has been off and on since High School. I started with AD&D 2e, then moved on to playing some other RPG's; White Wolf's WoD games, Star Wars (D6), Shadowrun, and even Marvel Superheroes.

I picked up the 3e D&D books when they were released, but never found a group to play with. Now I have the 4e D&D core books and I was so determined to play the new rule set that I run a campaign for my wife's Rollerderby team every other Sunday. However, now I want a chance to play!

My availability is fairly open, I can play anytime Monday through Friday from 5pm to 11pm, all day on Saturdays, and every other Sunday.'

Thanks for reading,

- Jake
    j-smuv
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

Hello, I'm Jake. Empty Re: Hello, I'm Jake.

Post by j-smuv 2010-07-02, 16:53

If you want a casual 4e game, you may want to check out the Heroes Guild's Eastern Expanse campaign. It's episodic, so you go to the games you can. You keep the same character, however, so you have a chance to see your character grow and change the world they're involved in.

If a home game is more your speed you can probably find one on these forums, the Meetup or the Facebook page.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email or pm me. I am happy to help.
    HooliganBFLO
    HooliganBFLO
    Level 1 Poster

The Waste Character

Post by HooliganBFLO 2010-07-02, 19:20

I think I'll start out with Eastern Expanse, maybe meet new people in the community. Then try and find a home game.

Couple of questions:

So do I just make a level 1 DDi legal character and then post him in the character section?

What roles are the most needed right now?

Where are Eastern Expanse games held?

I really enjoy writing a story to familiarize myself with the character, is there any posted information on the setting of Eastern Expanse?

Thanks

Last edited by HooliganBFLO on 2010-07-02, 19:21; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    dhlevine
    dhlevine
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Jarrol
    Race: Goliath (Half-Giant)
    Class: Ardent

Post by dhlevine 2010-07-03, 13:19

Jake, welcome!

I've been doing a lot of the DMing for the EE games recently (though I think Chris is taking the next one, on 7/13), so let me take a stab at your questions.

1. Yes, pretty much if it's legal in the Character Builder, it's legal in EE. So far, we've been keeping it to PHB deities, General backgrounds, and no dragonmarks, but AFAIK there's never been an "official" decision on that. Basically, if you want something that's deeply tied to a particular campaign setting, ask.

2. Right now the most active EE players are heavy on Leaders and Defenders. I don't think there are *any* currently active Controllers, and I think there's only one active Striker (Nergal, my own Barbarian, is on hiatus while I DM stuff).

3. Games are held at venues determined by mutual consent of the players and the DM. Check out the EE sub-forum for more of a sense of how they're scheduled.

4. EE is great fun, but it may not be the best venue for getting deep into your character's backstory. There *is* a setting, but here are the two things to know about it.

a. What goes on in the Empire is meaningless. EE is like the Old West - no one cares where you're from, they're only interested in what you're going to do now. People make up bits and pieces of backstory all the time (Nergal is from what was once the Northern Expanse, but got conquered. How did I know that? I made it up!). But it's all ultimately relatively meaningless fluff.

b. There *is* an evolving setting in the Expanse itself, but it's curated by the players. If you want to know more about the ancient Vasharans, the dark history of the Rivenroar clan, the Sisterhood of Ba, or the legendary Empire of Nilheim at the center of the Earth, you'll have to ask the other players or check out the Rumors board.

c. EE is ultimately, mostly a hack-and-slash game, by design, and because it's casual and pick-up. You should give it a try and meet some folks, but you may ultimately want to find a home game if you're looking for more "story depth." (I'd help you out there, but I just wrapped a D&D home game and the one I'm currently launching is Apocalypse World, so I'm no help for D&D games).

Oh, and what team? While we appreciate the kid-friendliness of bouts, they're mostly after my daughter's bedtime, so we haven't been out to a match in a while - but I still have my Mobtown Mods T-shirt (and I dabbled with practicing with the Harm City Homicide men's team, but realized I'd never actually be able to get to a bout...).
    HooliganBFLO
    HooliganBFLO
    Level 1 Poster

The Waste Character

Post by HooliganBFLO 2010-07-08, 12:37

dhlevine wrote:
    Oh, and what team? While we appreciate the kid-friendliness of bouts, they're mostly after my daughter's bedtime, so we haven't been out to a match in a while - but I still have my Mobtown Mods T-shirt (and I dabbled with practicing with the Harm City Homicide men's team, but realized I'd never actually be able to get to a bout...).

My wife skates for Chesapeake Roller Derby, she made the CCRG team, but she travels for work and couldn't keep up with their schedule.

Also I added a control Wizard to the Character Profiles, if there's a need for something else though I've made 10 level 1 characters according to the EE guidelines that I'd be willing to play.

Thanks,

- Jake
    dhlevine
    dhlevine
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Jarrol
    Race: Goliath (Half-Giant)
    Class: Ardent

Post by dhlevine 2010-07-23, 12:05

I didn't realize there was a Chesapeake RD - now that we'll be getting a car (long story) maybe we'll check it out.

And, hope to see you Tuesday - the group can really use a Wizard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-19, 10:24