Supporting Gamers & Intellectual Hobbyists Throughout Maryland

Curious but Apprehensive

stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Curious but Apprehensive

Post by stevethesteve on 2010-10-15, 10:45

I’ve never played D&D, or any table top games for that matter. I’ve always enjoyed video game RPGs, and the idea of table top roll playing has always intrigued me, but I’ve never really had an opportunity to play it. I knew a few people in high school who played it but the nerdy stigma and all the math scared me off. I recently started listening to the Penny Arcade Podcast where they play D&D with Wil Wheaton and that’s got me interested again.
    So I’m not really good at math, particularly mental math, but I love the idea of creating characters and sending them on adventures. I’m a student at UMBC who live in Baltimore near Catonsville, I’m curious in trying out D&D but still a little unsure if it’s really for me. So yeah I'm just kind of putting myself out there, if anyone in the area is interested in trying to convert a complete noob (do D&D guys use the word noob?) to the game, then I'm willing.
    Adam Dray
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

The Waste Character
    Name: Redcap
    Race: Kenku
    Class: Sorcerer

Re: Curious but Apprehensive

Post by Adam Dray on 2010-10-15, 10:55

Hey, I run a D&D 4th Edition game every other Thursday (next week) at my place in Owings Mills. We can teach you the basics of 4E in fifteen minutes, and help you make a character in--let's say 30 minutes.

Half of my game is combat and the other half is politics and scheming and other daily life stuff that the players care about. The non-combat play is stuff that no one needs any experience to do. You'll get it immediately.

Wanna give it a try? No commitments; just try us out once and see if it's for you.

You can read all about the world we play in, Caldera, on its Obsidian Portal pages. PM or email adamdray@gmail.com for more info.

And really, no math necessary.
    dhlevine
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Jarrol
    Race: Goliath (Half-Giant)
    Class: Ardent

Post by dhlevine on 2010-10-15, 11:01

We only use the word "noob" before we steal your phat l00t.

There are many games out here, not all of which involve hard math! I'm crap at math in my head, too (Adam is lying, 4E has *some* math, but not hard stuff - just addition and subtraction... some light trigonometry, and you need to be able to demonstrate validity of a formal logic system).

One possible entry point would be the Guild's Dark Sun sandbox/casual D&D game (I think the Penny Arcade guys played Dark Sun, too, right?). We're scheduling a game for 10/21, and it's the kind of game where each session is self-contained, and you can come and go as you please. Check out the The Waste sub-forum here for details.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, post to Players Seeking Games and you may find someone selling what you're buying. I'm one of the resident non-D&D guys around here, so while my current non-D&D game is full, I'll be sure to look you up when it winds down.

Oh, and welcome!
    stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Post by stevethesteve on 2010-10-15, 12:28

Thanks for the warm welcome. And Adam, Owings Mills is just a quick trip (depending on traffic) up the beltway for me, so I'd love to join you. I do have midterms next week but I think I'll be done with them by Thursday, I'll send you an email. And dhlevine, the Penny Arcade guys do play Dark Sun, I'm interested in that setting but I think I'd like to start with a more conversational fantasy setting. Oh and FYI I'm not a complete nood, through osmosis I've come to learn the basics of table top RPGs, just the bare basics though. Once again thanks.
    Imperator
    Founding Member
    Founding Member

Post by Imperator on 2010-10-15, 13:24

Welcome Steve. The RPG Gods only demand small sacrifices at first. Souls and first-born aren't required until they've really sucked you in. Twisted Evil

There will be an event tomorrow, so if you can make it over to Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie around 1pm you should be able to met a few of us.
    stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Post by stevethesteve on 2010-10-15, 15:41

I'm afraid I'm a bit busy tomorrow, I'm seeing a friend in my hometown, but thanks for the invite.
    j-smuv
    Administrator

The Waste Character
    Name: Ordesso Badatu
    Race: Minotaur
    Class: Fighter

Post by j-smuv on 2010-10-17, 23:55

Welcome!

I really can say with confidence that although D&D may not be for everyone, there IS an rpg for everyone. You just have to figure out what type of game you like.

The Waste is a great place to get your feet wet. We also run monthly one shots at game stores around Baltimore. Also, we have many members running a variety of different games. These games can be found on the forums here, on the Heroes Guild Meetup message board, and on our Facebook page. Just look around, and see if the description of a game appeals to you. There is a genre and game-type for every player.
    seaniusmaximus
    Level 5 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Emere-kai
    Race: Genasi
    Class: Swordmage

Post by seaniusmaximus on 2010-10-20, 19:43

Hello!

I know you're being bombarded with options right now, but I also run a weekly game (friday nights) in Federal Hill. Dan(dhlevine) plays in them, and he can attest that I'm HORRENDOUS at math, and yet still manage to not only play d&d, but run games as well. So there's that.

The game I run is standard 4e fantasy setting, with a little bit of differences. We have room at the table for another, as the party is currently only 5. If you're interested, let me know, and you can roll yourself up a character and jump on in.
    stevethesteve
    Level 2 Poster

Post by stevethesteve on 2010-10-22, 15:04

Thanks seaniusmaximus but I've gotten into a game now that I like. I'm going to get some experience playing with them (real experience with playing the game, not in-game experience) before I try getting into other games. I do want to try other stuff like this Wastes thing and whatnot, but I'll come to that when I feel ready. Thanks for the welcome guys, this place is a lot nicer than most forums.
    seaniusmaximus
    Level 5 Poster

The Waste Character
    Name: Emere-kai
    Race: Genasi
    Class: Swordmage

Post by seaniusmaximus on 2010-10-22, 15:57

We're just nice over the internet. we find it's easier to lure in victt... I mean, players in that way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2017-12-13, 20:17